Saturday, July 21, 2012

Five Beasts Join the Roster

Here are the first five Duel Beasts to join the line up.

Earth Wyrm:



One of the type of beasts in Duel Beasts is "Blood" type. They will focus on stealing life, dealing large amounts of damage, causing ailments, and other unpleasant but interesting effects. Earth Wyrm is a blood and earth type beast, whose biggest asset is just his cuddeliness. I mean really, who wouldn't want an Earth Wyrm plushie.

Fire Fish: 



Duel Beasts will have a lot of different type of beast, but I wanted to ensure that I didn't just copy the cliche types. You know, air, fire, water, ground, ect. But at the same time, those types are in almost every monster fighting game for a reason. Namely fire, water, air, and earth are your basic elements. So my solution to avoiding being the same thing as every other game was two fold. First I would have several very different types of monsters not seen in other games (for example blood type), and second I would combine the types in interesting ways. Hence Fire Fish is a fire and a water type beast. A combination that goes counter intuitive to what we are use to seeing.

So how will this work? What will be it's strengths and weaknesses if its type is atagonistic in nature? Will I answer these questions in this post?


Octoclops:




I am not entirely sold on the name Octoclops, so I am open to any ideas. Originally she was called Mind Squid, but it looked more like and octopus than a squid. But what do I know, "Octoclops" might be an awesome name and it is just me who hates it. So I would love to hear feedback on this.

Shroomy:



Shroomy is an electric and plant type beast. I thought this would be a fun combination and has lead to some very interesting skill combinations. Though I was trying to go for a darker tone to this game, I can't help but think the beasts that would typically be the most gruesome just come out kind of cute. It might just be me, but look at those cute antennia. Adorable...

Vultchar:



Last on the list, but not least is Vultchar. Vultchar is an earth and fire type beast and has some interesting skill combinations. And though this game is still in very early development I hope to implement a skill for Vultchar that when attacked by water type attacks will actually have him shift from a mix of fire and earth to be more earth, because his molten skin would become hardened into cooled magma. This would be interesting because it would add a depth of utility to him that even when attacked by his opposite element his armor increases and helps make him become more durable. This would also decrease the potency of his fire attacks, but at the same time increase the potency of his earth attacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment